I have been familiar with the idea of podcasts for a long time, but I honestly never listened to one until last year. I am someone who has always loved to read... whether it is books, magazines or blogs, the printed word has always been my preference. That all changed when I found it next to impossible to ever get any real reading done. And I know some people can read while they walk on a treadmill, but I am NOT one of them... so if I was going to keep up with life and also focus on being more active I definitely needed a new option.
I started out looking primarily for homeschool podcasts. That was what I needed to learn more about at the time, and I was desperately in need of some encouragement as a home educator! I found a few podcasts to try, and I realized that I really liked being able to even just hear other adult voices talking about relevant topics during my child-filled days! While I can't talk back (well, I guess I could but that would be a little nutty) it is almost like adding some adult conversation in to my day, since the podcasts I have chosen are all interviews or panels.
I confess I am someone who could often be found with the tv on at times during the day, just for the background noise. How refreshing to have an option where I can actually get something out of what I am listening to while I am doing things like folding laundry or washing dishes. It also fills the silence at times when I run out of things to talk to a 13-month-old about. I may or may not be found occasionally having "conversations" about Charlotte Mason educational theories with a cute little darling whose replies consist of baby gibberish now while building block towers for her to knock down.
So, while I am new to the whole podcast things, I was an instant fan once I started listening! I have found that there are some great homeschool podcasts out there, but I also have found many others that are not homeschool related that I really enjoy. I thought I would share some of my favorites here, since I can often be found asking for suggestions from different friends on instagram and facebook. The best choices are always ones someone else tells me they just love! Here are a few of mine:
- Risen Motherhood - This one is my current favorite. I love how encouraging Laura and Emily are, and how they get me thinking very intentionally about my role as a mother. It is hard to choose a favorite episode, but I loved Ep. 35 - Putting Your Marriage First: giving him more than the leftovers.
- The God Centered Mom Podcast - I love the variety of guests on this one, and if I had to pick a very favorite podcast episode listened to in 2016 it would have been her interview with Kirk Martin for Ep. 69 - Calmly Parenting the Strong-Willed Child.
- At Home - This podcast is fun because there are up to 6 women all getting together to discuss different topics, which means lots of different viewpoints and some lively interaction. One of my favorites here was Promoting a Peaceful Marriage.
- Cohesive Home Podcast - I haven't listened to this one quite as often, but I LOVED their episode on living seasonally!! Ep. 17 - Living Seasonally
- The Mason Jar - This was the podcast that started it all for me! I love it when I need a reminder of why I homeschool and what I want our days to look like. It is hard to choose an episode to highlight, but hearing Cindy Rollins talk about her Morning Time was a game-changer for me, or at least the first of several! Q & A #1
What podcasts have you been listening to? I would love for you to leave me a link or two of episodes I should check out in the comments!