I feel like a bit of a broken record here, but things have just been so crazy here lately. Like, I want to sit down and make goals, but I simply cannot find the
I feel like I should split my goals into categories for some reason today. Maybe I will split them according to my priorities like I used to. I really should get back to using that system of goal setting again. Maybe print the planner that I designed last year but then kinda forgot to keep using. Anyhow... so goals by priority:
So this is the first time in a long time that I am not a part of an online small group Bible study. Or any small group for that matter. I have been kind of going back and forth about if I want to try to find a new one? I don't know. I do know, however that I want to make sure my morning quiet time is solid even when I start watching a sweet baby girl 3 days a week. She will be coming earlier than I have been even waking up, so clearly my mornings are going to need some attention. And my bedtime by extension. I also would like to read more... as in actually finish books I start. Unless there is a good reason not to. So, the goals for this priority:
- Make sure I am up early enough to have quiet time while it is still quiet.
- Read 12 (is that too high a goal?) non-fiction books this year. And finish them.
While I strive for authenticity on this blog, I often just avoid talking about marriage. Not sure why. Marriage can be hard. Being a good wife can be hard. Being married and parents is hard. I guess that is why I don't talk about it much. I have so much work to do in this area. God has given me an amazing husband, and our marriage is a source of joy, security and comfort... but it also requires attention and effort. So this is an area where I really need to focus this year. I mentioned that I feel like my #onelittleword for the year, URGENT, applies to my home life first. I need to make a real effort to meet the needs of the people God had placed in the forefront of my life for me to serve. So, the goals for this priority:
- Monthly date nights (more often would be better, but I am trying to be realistic...)
- More alone time with Matt just during everyday life
- Make sure our home is a place that is welcoming after Matt gets done with a long day at work
Here is one of those areas where there is a goal that is always on the list! If we could just find a better daily routine and conquer bedtime life would be so much easier, right? I am constantly going back and forth between thinking an earlier bedtime would solve all my problems (ha!) and thinking that I need to just deal with Aiden's natural night owl tendencies and enjoy the fact that at least he sleeps in. Of course there are goals that involve things other than sleep. Here are a few goals:
- Keep up with Aiden's love of Scripture and include him in my studies on a regular basis
- Spend more time just playing!
- Outside time together for at least 15 minutes daily (usually longer, but even when it is cold we can do 15 minutes)
- FYI - I will share my homeschool goals in our first #ParentTeacherMeetUp of the new year on January 9th!! If you homeschool I hope you will join me and link up with us!
I feel like I did make some progress last year in the areas of organization and decor. There is still so much work to be done, though! And we have such a small space! I can't imagine if I had to decorate a large home, ha! This is the year I want to really own my vocation as homemaker and be proud of taking good care of things in all areas of that job so we can have a place that is inviting and comfortable any day. Some goals:
- I have this plan to make our large bedroom closet more efficient so that I can eliminate our dressers and use that side of our room for a small office area. Crazy? Maybe! That is my big dream for the year, though!
- Finally replace our washing machine and make our laundry room more functional and maybe a little prettier.
- Stay on top of the clutter and keep it from building back up after the latest purge.
- Get serious about meal planning again to prepare healthy and frugal meals that my boys will be excited about.
I always just throw out the same goals in this area it seems. And I always seem to let them slide to the bottom of the daily to-do. However, I need to remember that if I am not taking care of myself I have much less energy and stamina for doing all this good stuff I want to do. 2015 was like the ultimate example of how true this is! I took pretty lousy care of myself last year overall, and it showed in all areas of my life. So, goals:
- Move more. I will work on setting real goals and making a plan for this soon. Starting today, though, I am setting hourly alerts on my phone to make sure I get up and move every hour (when I start working on the computer it is easy to not do that!)
- Eat healthier. Again, I need to do some thinking about the "how" of this one, but I know it needs to be here.
- Start counseling. This has been on my list before. It didn't happen. It needs to, though...
OUTSIDE THE HOME
See how many goals come before this section? And yet I typically let this work consume the majority of my time and energy. I feel like my main goal here is to just really get to a place where I can see this work as what comes after I have taken care of the stuff up there ^^^. I have a feeling I will be sharing a lot about this struggle in the months to come, because it is one that I feel more women especially need to be aware of. But we will get to that later. Some priorities in this area:
- Be a more focused Godparent leader for our teens in our last semester together and support them as they go off to college in the fall.
- Make sure we see our college girls monthly, even if we have to be creative about the when and where!
- Spend more time with my extended family.
- Support the amazing network of sisters in Christ that I have been given all over the world through prayer, technology, and my beloved snail mail! (I really have let the snail mail slide during the last few months!)
There are goals, and then there are dreams. Are they really different? Maybe not entirely. I could certainly make goals out of these, but I feel like my energy needs to be focused on the things above and I want to keep that clarity. However, I would love if 2016 also brought some of these dreams into reality:
- A real family vacation
- A vehicle that could take us to Missouri more regularly
- A visit to NE from my best friend... finally!
- This blog being a space that I continue to use to grow and record our memories, as well as providing some extra income for our family here and there.
- Finding a homeschool co-op that fits our family (this will be on the goal list next year, but would love it if it happened sooner... just not planning to put as much energy into this in the foreseeable future)